For years Arnold Schwarzenegger was the golden boy of the health and fitness industry. His techniques were copied across literally 100’s of different health and fitness programs and became the benchmark for how to look and feel great across the world.
In 2002 the movie “Collateral Damage” came out, Arnie looked great and at 55 really seemed to be beating the game, he looked incredible.
Then Arnold got a job.
He moved from a world where his job was to look great and look after his body (and could spend as long as he wanted dedicated to this pursuit), to a world where his job was to govern, and his time to look after himself went to pretty much zero.
In just 2 years he went from pin up boy for the Health and Fitness industry to Governor of California with a dad bod.
Because his system didn’t work in the real world.
Sure, it worked fine when he could pack himself into a gym all day and spend hours recovering in the sauna after his workout, eat expertly prepared food following a meal plan laid down by a top nutritionist …but when the pressures of a real job combined with the normal process of ageing caught up with him, it all fell apart.
Now before I go any further I want to state that Arnie is a personal hero of mine and has provided inspiration for me my entire life…I’m not bashing Arnie, what I am bashing is the system we now follow without question which has failed its creator.
Why did the system which worked so well for Arnold, the icon of the system itself, so suddenly fail when he became Governor?
To answer this we have to address the underlying belief, centred right at the heart of the health and fitness industry which is causing us normal people a huge amount of pain.
The belief that because something is good for a top athlete or movie star it’s good for us.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Sauce for the goose in this case, is NOT sauce for the gander.
What we need to understand is that while following a fitness lifestyle is effective, as Arnold found right up to getting a job. It is not very efficient, meaning we need to dedicate a HUGE amount of time to it if it is to work properly, even more so as we pass 35 and the natural role of ageing starts to have an effect.
The truth is, as Arnie discovered, as soon as we don’t have that time, this system fails us.
Comparing a pro athlete or movie star to a busy CEO or a stay at home mum with kids to look after, who often simply doesn’t have ANY time to hit the gym, to meal prep, to go to the sauna, is not comparing like for like.
When you then add in:
- The creeping effects of time on the body as we age, as you start discovering that the things which worked for you at 20 no longer work so well.
- A little understood mechanism which makes it highly likely that fat cells will simply regrow (as a biological necessity) after a period of fat loss (we go deep in to this mechanism in the No Tantrum Program).
- A modern world which presents so many challenges to the optimal functioning of a biological organism
At this point you start to realise a COMPLETELY different program is needed to what has been championed by Arnie and by extension the entire Health and Fitness Industry for all these years.
A program which works –
- When life gets in the way and your time is reduced to zero.
- When you simply don’t have the time to think about preparing another healthy meal,.
- When you don’t have time to go to the gym.
- When you don’t have the time to spend hours at the masseuse.
- When you’re no longer in your 20’s and your body simply does not respond to exercise in the same way, does not respond to peak nutrition in the same way.
When this happens you need a program which will keep you in great shape, keep you young, keep you feeling and looking great and massively slow down the rate of ageing, when you have ZERO time, whatever your age.
Funnily enough (come on you knew I was building towards this!) my entire coaching program is designed around these principles, if you’d like to check it out you can find out more here.